Authors: Robyn Scherer, Seth Anthony

Don’t be so fast to celebrate, CSU

Seth Anthony

This past week, student leaders and even the Collegian editorial board went around patting students on the back for their work to revise Fort Collins’ onerous 3-Unrelated law that prevents more than three people from sharing a house. The revision gives students 30 days to find new housing to remedy a violation, rather than the seven they’d had previously.

But let’s be honest, this change, while progress in the right direction, doesn’t even begin to address the underlying problems. It’s still illegal for four unrelated students to live together, and the city can still violate the Fourth Amendment by searching your house for evidence of code violations without a warrant. Think about it this way: Would you be any less upset about a parking ticket if you could pay it in installments rather than all at once? No, and students shouldn’t be one iota less outraged by the city’s policies.

It’s also worth noting that this change was strictly “administrative.” City Council didn’t have to take any formal action here, and they appear as reluctant as ever to make changes to 3-unrelated. It is the council that will have to take action to make the substantive changes that ASCSU is calling for, and that’s where they’re appropriately focusing their efforts. Don’t settle for the small bone that the city is throwing students to try to keep us satisfied —- this minor victory should just be the opening round.

changes in u+2 positive progress

Robyn Scherer

The progress the Associated Students of CSU has made in relation to the 3-Unrelated rule is a cause for students to celebrate and for the members who worked on the change to give themselves a pat on the back.

This year’s ASCSU crew has taken a more efficient approach to revamping the law instead of trying to abolish it altogether, although that would be the best solution. However, that won’t happen.

The members of the City Council have proven in the last couple of years they are not willing to trash the law. However, recent events have shown that at least a few members of the council are willing to listen to concerns and possibly make some changes that are reasonable and help students to abide by the law.

If any of you have tried to find housing in seven days, it’s nearly impossible. Seven days does not give you enough time to search and make a good decision, and you are more likely to snatch up the first prospect that comes along. If you have 30 days, it gives you time to look around and find housing that works for you and your budget. This is a big step in helping students to follow the law after they have been busted.

Positive progress is essential to accomplishing any goal. Without progress, the goal risks being abandoned or regression occurring. By staying proactive and trying to work with the City Council instead of fighting with it, positive progress can continue.

Good job ASCSU, and continue to fight for the positive progress you seek.