Authors: Matt L. Stephens

The CSU volleyball team added another Mountain West Conference victory over the weekend as they topped Border War rival Wyoming 3-0 (26-24, 25-15, 27-25) in Laramie on Friday. For the Rams, this is their fourth league win of 2009, keeping them tied atop the MWC with Utah.

This was the 23rd consecutive victory for the Rams over the Cowgirls, a streak that lasts over a decade and into 1998, when both schools still played in the Western Athletic Conference. Despite sweeping the match, CSU was forced to come back in the first and last sets of the match.

“Both (first and third) games were just marathons,” said CSU head coach Tom Hilbert. “We dug ourselves into holes early and worked our way out of it.”

Although the Rams came away with a sloppy victory, which featured five service and 16 hitting errors, Hilbert felt that the team still coming away with the victory showed character.

“As frustrating as it is to watch, it’s also kind of neat to see that happen. The team is developing a lot of character when that happens.”

Leading the Rams in kills was junior outside hitter Danielle Minch, who had 15 to go along with one service ace.

The other Ram leading the charge at the UniWyo Sports Complex on Friday evening was freshman Megan Ploudre, who had nine kills, one dig and the team’s only solo block.

Hilbert seemed pleased with how the freshman is performing on the court.

“Plourde puts good numbers on the floor,” he said. “She just doesn’t make mistakes.”

Next up, the Rams will travel to San Diego State to face the Aztecs (6-9, 1-4 MWC), who have lost three of their last four matches. Despite that, Hilbert says he feels that the Aztecs will be the Rams’ “toughest road test so far this season.”

Sports Editor Matt L. Stephens can be reached at sports@collegian.com