Imagine that you’re riding to class one day on your new 10-speed cruiser bike, complete with a book basket and surf-themed decals because you’re too awesome for words. You look both ways before crossing at the intersection of Meridian Avenue and Plum Street, push off, gain momentum and … BAM! A car crossing through the intersection collides with your back bike wheel, sending you and your stylish set of wheels crashing to the ground.

The driver stops suddenly, exits the vehicle and rushes to your side.

“Are you OK?” he says, a million questions passing through his brain as he tries to remember if he saw you or not, if he was speeding or if he made a complete stop.

You’re sitting on the ground; you look up at the driver, sharing in his confusion.

Both know one thing: the mutual confusion is an effect of a bike-versus-car accident.

Since the start of the semester, five of these very accidents have been reported to the CSU Police Department, making for a total of 35 reported since 2006.

According to Edgar Snyder & Associates, an injury law firm, 52,000 bicyclists were injured in the United States in 2008, representing a 21 percent increase over 2007.

If both cyclists and drivers were to pay attention and obey the laws created specifically for each, these numbers would not be so high.

It is the responsibility of anyone on the road – drivers of cars, bikes, motorcycles and even pedestrians – to know the laws and abide by them, not to appease the government but to protect their fellow migratory man.