Authors: Kirsten Silveira, Madeline Novey

As debate over Fort Collins’ occupancy ordinance grows, a city official said Wednesday comments and concerns shared in a public open house would be presented to City Council during its comprehensive review of the law next month.

Community members, as many as 20 CSU students and Student Government representatives voiced their opinions in the Fort Collins Municipal Court’s Community Room on numerous issues regarding the ordinance, commonly known as U+2 or 3-Unrelated, including whether changes to the law are needed.

Public opinion from the open house, written on sticky notes and stuck to walls around the room included: erecting “CSU City,” a gated student community patrolled by police, that 3-Unrelated is needed to maintain the quality of neighborhoods and a consensus that the ordinance is discriminatory against students.

The comments will be packaged with input gathered from stakeholder meetings, roundtable discussions and the city’s U+2 discussion Web site YourVoice and compiled for the City Council. This report will aid council members in deciding whether changes to U+2 are necessary or not, Manager of Fort Collins Neighborhood Services Beth Sowder said.

News Managing Editor Madeline Novey and ASCSU Beat Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com.