Authors: Bryan Schiele

In order to better position advocacy programs to serve the CSU community, the university’s advocacy offices have been renamed Student Diversity Programs and Services, following an 18-month committee review.

In addition, four of the seven programs within the newly-named Student Diversity Programs and Services experienced name changes after the review as well.

Black Student Services, Native American Student Services, Asian/Pacific American Student Services, and the office of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Student Services have all been renamed.

They are now the Black/African American Cultural Center, the Native American Cultural Center, the Asian/Pacific American Cultural Center and the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Resource Center.

Linda Ahuna-Hamill, assistant vice president of Student Affairs, said in an e-mail, “The motivation for the office name changes was primarily to convey that the offices exist to serve all students, and that all students were welcomed and encouraged to participate in the many programs, services, and opportunities the offices provide.”

Ahuna-Hamill served as co-chair on the committee that conducted a periodic review and assessment of existing programs over the last 18 months. The committee was composed of students, faculty, staff and administration.

Each individual office name change was decided based on a survey that was sent to Student Diversity Programs and Services distribution lists, CSU faculty that had interactions with the offices, Division Directors and a random sample of 4,000 students, Ahuna-Hamill said.

Ty Smith, director of the Native American Cultural Center, which is celebrating its 30th anniversary at CSU this year, said the new names “demonstrate the inclusiveness of our program.”

Smith said that the programs and services offered at the Native American Cultural Center reach out beyond CSU’s campus and into the Fort Collins community and K-12 students.

He said, “It just makes sense to make the name change to a cultural center.”

Smith said that students initially had questions about the name change but once they were assured there would be no changes to the services offered by the Native American Cultural Center, students were very accepting.

Ahuna-Hamill echoed Smith, saying that she has not heard of any negative reactions by students to the any of the name changes, adding that she believes this “because students were involved in the process and understand the reason for the name changes.”

Staff writer Bryan Schiele can be reached at news@collegian.com.