Authors: Stephen Meyers

PROVO, Utah — Moving on is never easy, but after this weekend’s loss at BYU (3-1, 1-0 MWC), the Rams are planning to do just that.

Quarterback Grant Stucker, who threw two first quarter interceptions, knows a thing or two about moving on and putting the past behind him.

“It’s one thing that you’ve just got to keep preaching to yourself: You got to have a short memory,” Stucker said.

After his two interceptions, Stucker led the Rams back into the game with his best performance as a Rams’ starter. Although finishing the day with 372 yards and two touchdowns, the quarterback said his stats don’t matter without the win.

“I don’t care if I throw for (more than) 300 yards or if I throw for 3 yards, it’s not the same unless you win,” Stucker said.

Stucker’s play Saturday earned praise from head coach Steve Fairchild.

” . When you really look at (Stucker’s) body of work through the first four games, it’s certainly not error free, but I’m very, very pleased with him,” Fairchild said.

Perhaps no player more than receiver Rashaun Greer is ready to move on.

Greer was benched the final three quarters Saturday after dropping two passes leading to BYU interceptions.

“Basically you’ve got to just get back to the basics, and that starts at practice. You’ve got to go hard in practice and catch every ball in practice and go the extra step and just play with confidence,” Greer said.

Fairchild took Saturday’s loss to BYU hard, putting the blame on himself. His team, however, said that’s unfair to the man who has coached the Rams for just more than a year.

“We just won’t put that on the coach. It’s 50/50. It’s not just Coach Fairchild, it’s us, also,” freshman linebacker Chris Gipson said. “We are a team, so it was on all of us.”

Gipson entered the line-up after starting middle linebacker Alex Williams sustained an injury in the first quarter, responding with two sacks and six tackles.

Though a little shell-shocked, CSU (3-1, 0-1 MWC) now moves its sights to a new week and a new opponent.

“Everybody’s hurting, and they should be because everybody cares more than anybody knows. Starting tomorrow we’re going to shake it off and look toward the future and Idaho,” Stucker said.

The Rams will face an Idaho team that defeated San Diego State 34-20 last Saturday.

Defensive coordinator Larry Kerr said his team would go back to work this week and forget about the loss to BYU.

“It’s a long season. We’ll regroup. Our guys have battled. I don’t think any different of our football team,” Kerr said. “When you have a day like this, you just go back to the office and go to work.”

Football beat reporter Stephen Meyers can be reached at sports@collegian.com.