Authors: Madeline Novey

The CSU Police Department arrested freshman Kyle Lindgren Thursday for suspicion of menacing with a knife after he was involved in a fight with a non-student in Corbett Hall a day earlier, university spokesperson Dell Rae Moellenberg said in an e-mail to the Collegian.

After actively trying to contact Lindgren since the incident Wednesday, CSUPD arrested him late Thursday morning at the Larimer County Courthouse, where he was appearing for an unrelated matter.

Lindgren had reportedly left the room of the residence hall where the fight occurred around 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, later returning with a knife.

Though the non-student male he fought with had left the area, Lindgren allegedly brandished the knife in a threatening manner to other individuals in the room.

After he learned the police were responding to the area, Lindgren, who is listed on the CSU directory as undeclared, exited the residence hall through a two-story window after cutting through the screen with a knife.

Charges are expected to be filed next week and are pending through the District Attorney’s office.

Lindgren is charged with: felony menacing with a deadly weapon, third degree assault, interference with staff, faculty or students of an educational institution, criminal mischief and violation of bail bond conditions.

According to the same e-mail, Dean of Students Anne Hudgens said in incidents such as this, a student can be suspended from the university pending the outcome of the criminal proceedings.

The university is unable to release information about specific actions related to a student’s academic standing due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, commonly known as FERPA, which protects the privacy of student education records.

Because the incident is under investigation, no further details can be released at this time, Moellenberg said in the e-mail.

Lindgren was not available for comment.

News Managing Editor Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com.