Listen up Rams because this is important. Student government needs your help in showing City Council that students matter in Fort Collins.

So stop what you’re doing for a moment and grab a pen, because you’re going to need a few essential pieces of information, and we don’t want to repeat ourselves.

This morning, the Associated Students of CSU kicked off a student letter writing campaign aimed at encouraging City Council to consider some specific changes to the student-disenfranchising 3-unrelated occupancy ordinance.

The ordinance, also called “U+2,” specifies that no more than three unrelated people may live in one residence at any given time.

ASCSU’s goal is to raise awareness about its proposed changes, which include compromises to the original 3-unrelated ordinance, by showing City Council that students are concerned with “U+2,” and student government wants at least 1,000 letters.

Here’s where you come in. Grab the pen and start writing. Now. Go.

Students can pick up letter writing packets — they include 10 sheets of paper, 10 envelopes, sample letters, an explanation of how to run a letter writing campaign, a map of the Fort Collins districts and a copy of ASCSU’s proposal summary –in the ASCSU office in the Lory Student Center.

Students can turn in individual letters to the office, located at the south end of the Lory Student Center on the first floor.

ASCSU Community Affairs Director Courtney Sullivan encouraged students to write on several subjects, including:

Changing 3-unrelated to 4-unrelated,

extra-Occupancy rental availability,

extending the correction time from seven to 30 days, and

increasing education and enforcement of other peace-keeping ordinances.

Letters must be turned in before Oct. 19 at 6 p.m.

Fight for your civil rights students. If you don’t speak up, no one will listen.