Authors: Aaron Hedge

University and Larimer County officials swore in Wendy Rich-Goldschmidt as the fourth CSU Police Department chief Wednesday afternoon in the CSUPD conference room, emphasizing a dedication to communication and transparency in the new leadership.

“We are on the verge of setting a new path for the CSUPD,” said Tom Gorell, the vice president for administrative services, before swearing in the new chief, who was hired by the university over the summer.

Rich-Goldschmidt established herself as a long-time advocate for university and community policing, giving tribute to a number of police chiefs she had worked under before coming to CSU.

“Campus policing is the best hidden gem in law enforcement,” she said.

After taking protection oaths for CSU and Larimer County, Rich-Goldschmidt’s husband and Greeley police officer Brad Goldschmidt, who assistant chief Frank Johnson called her “partner against crime,” pinned the police chief badge to her uniform.

Rich-Goldschmidt was the police chief at the University of Northern Colorado before she started officially at CSU Aug. 17.

At CSU, she will have purview over a number of officers who have statewide jurisdiction in their policing.

CSUPD employees have said the new chief will be a better steward of the department than her predecessor Dexter Yarbrough, who resigned in March after being presented with the results of a three-month personnel probe into his conduct that involved the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.

“She’ll be a breath of fresh air,” Johnson told the Collegian earlier this semester.

News Managing Editor Madeline Novey contributed to this report.

Development Editor Aaron Hedge can be reached at news@collegian.com.