Authors: Matt Minich

The city will cease funding for the regular maintenance of four Poudre Fire Authority fire stations under the proposed Fort Collins budget for the 2010 fiscal year.

The maintenance reductions on stations one through four — which, of the 15 stations in Fort Collins, are located closest to the city’s center — will not have a significant impact on PFA functions, PFA Authority Chief John Mulligan said in a Fort Collins City Council work session Tuesday.

During the meeting the council discussed portions of the proposed budget.

Maintaining police and fire services was a major priority to city officials while drafting the proposed budget for FY10, City Manager David Atteberry said.

Fort Collins Police Department will see a decrease of $100,000 from its police training fund and will not be purchasing new forensics technology as a result of the budget cuts.

These cuts, however, should not have a major impact on the everyday lives of residents, Mayor Doug Hutchinson said.

“I don’t think the people of Fort Collins will see any major change.”

Additionally, students will not see less city police enforcement, Fort Collins Police Chief Dennis Harrison said.

“We’ll get through, and we’ll continue to provide a safe community.”

The budget, as proposed, is closely linked with a budget analysis performed by the council earlier in the year, Hutchinson said. The finalized product would be relatively close in form to the budget currently being presented to the council.

The proposed budget involves $7.4 million in cuts from 2009’s budget of $109.1 million. Under the proposal, residents would see a 9.6 percent increase in utility rates, coming to an estimated $10 per month increase per household.

The work session Tuesday came one week after the first of two public hearings on the proposed budget in which citizens can present their questions or concerns to the council. The second and final hearing will be Tuesday, Oct. 6.

The budget itself will not be adopted by the council until Oct. 20. Residents can read the entire budget proposal online at http://www.fcgov.com/citymanager/proposed-budget.php.

Senior Reporter Matt Minich can be reached at news@collegian.com.