Gear up for Homecoming

Authors: The Homecoming, Family Weekend Steering Committee

Although Homecoming and Family Weekend are more than two weeks away, it is time to start gearing up for the festivities, which will include more than 30 activities that celebrate the university, its students, alumni, faculty, staff, friends and neighbors Oct. 7 through Oct. 11. It’s also time to start working on your Homecoming parade float or entry.

This year’s theme is “Celebrating the past, building the future.”

This year’s parade Grand Marshall is the man leading us into the future, CSU President Tony Frank.

Recognizing that Homecoming is really about current and former students, last year, the Homecoming and Family Weekend Steering Committee sought your feedback on how to improve the entire week, particularly the parade. Students told us they were disconnected from the parade, that it had become more about Fort Collins than CSU and that getting up on Saturday to be downtown by 7 a.m. was simply too much to ask. You talked, and we listened.

At a student’s suggestion, we moved the parade to Friday afternoon. And to ensure the parade is foremost about celebrating CSU, we also changed the route (which previously did not come onto campus) to go through the Oval, across the Plaza and conclude on the West Lawn of the Lory Student Center. We also added a Homecoming festival on the West Lawn that begins as the parade ends.

Students embraced the change. Of the approximately 90 floats and entries in last year’s Homecoming parade, nearly half were from CSU, and more than 30 were created by student organizations —- a tremendous improvement over the usual five or six CSU entries with the previous parade format.

In addition, thousands more students and campus community members watched the parade — which some have called the best and most fun memory at CSU — and joined the Homecoming Festival. The campus community took ownership of this event celebrating CSU.

This year, we hope to see even more student and campus participation in the Homecoming Parade. Parade information (including details about floats and entries) and registration are online at http://homecoming.colostate.edu. The deadline for parade entry applications is Friday and is limited to the first 100 entries. All campus groups and organizations are encouraged to participate in the parade and help celebrate your great university.

Again this year, ASCSU is offering “parade scholarships” to student organizations and groups. ASCSU will reimburse as many as 12 students up to $300 per entry to cover parade entries and costs associated with building a float. Please call ASCSU Director of Finance Jake Donovan at (970) 491-5931 or stop by the ASCSU office in the Lory Student Center for more information.

We encourage you to participate in the great Homecoming Parade tradition that began on this campus in 1914, and to show your Ram Pride throughout all of Homecoming and Family Weekend. For a full list of events, http://homecoming.colostate.edu.

Go Rams!

Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.