Authors: McNamara Katelyn

Amid the tightening university budget constraints, one of the few buildings on campus where students could print pages for free closed last semester, leaving only two locations out of over 40 computer labs with free printing services for all students.

The Weber Building’s lab, which was open to students from all majors, was closed due to budget cuts, said Sally Hibbits, a coordinator for the Morgan Library. It was financed by the Academic Computer Networking Services’s central budget, which university spokesperson Jennifer Dimas said in an e-mail, is supported by the university general fund.

The Foreign Language Lab in Clark building C and Eddy computer lab on the third floor of Eddy Hall are now the only two places any student can print for free. Both free locations limit the amount and type of pages students can print and, although there are not currently any restrictions, the labs ask that only students in the department use them to print.

“It shouldn’t be up to a department to shoulder that cost or responsibility,” said Wayne Trzyna, a systems and network administrator for the computer sciences department.

Many of the labs on campus are major-specific and require some form of ID or password to use. The lab in Moby arena, which allowed any student to use it until this semester, is just one example.

Other labs on campus, such as the eCave in the basement of the Lory Student Center and the Intra-University Computing Lab the Durrell Center, are available for use by CSU open-option students only.

With the effects of a failing economy and a 9 percent tuition hike still reverberating through campus, many students expressed frustration at their inability to print class assignments for free.

“We’re students. We’re poor,” said sophomore apparel and merchandising major Lauren Tanner.

Sophomore pre-landscape architecture major Sam Hothan said that he bums assignments and notes off of friends to avoid printing.

“If it’s a really long thing I usually just don’t print it out, or I’ll put it off,” he said.

While options on campus are limited at this point, Conrad Miller, director of Academics for the Associated Students of CSU, said there are temporary solutions in the works, and, while student government and library officials are working to address the printing issue, he strongly encourages student input.

Staff writer Katelyn McNamara can be reached at news@collegian.com.