Rams up at half

Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

The CSU Rams lead the Nevada Wolf Pack 14-0 at halftime.

A timely CSU defense combined with a few key penalties have helped the Rams to blank Nevada through 30-minutes of football.

The Rams produced two turnovers during the opening half, both fumbles and both stopping long Wolf Pack drives.

For the second straight week CSU used a little bit of trickery to jumpstart their offense and for the second straight week it ended with a touchdown pass from wide receiver Dion Morton.

In the middle of a solid drive and already leading 7-0, CSU called a gadget play that couldn’t have gone any better. Facing a first and ten at the Nevada 25-yardline, quarterback Grant Stucker latteraled the ball to Morton, who proceeded to pass the ball to wide open tight end Eric Peitz for the easy touchdown, giving the Rams a 14-0 lead.

The Rams offense struggled out of the gate before waking up, going three and out on their first possession. After a 67-yard punt pinned Nevada deep in their own territory, Wolf Pack quarterback Colin Kaepernick fumbled a pitch. CSU cornerback DeAngelo Wilkonson recovered the ball deep in Nevada territory, setting up a golden opportunity for the Rams.

CSU would take advantage, scoring on a John Mosure one-yard touchdown run 5 plays later. Kicker Ben DeLine added the extra point, giving the Rams an early 7-0 lead.

Mosure leads the Rams offense rushing the ball 10 times for 44-yds and a touchdown.

Via Taua has run the ball seven times for 37-yds for the Wolf Pack.

Nevada is set to receive the ball to begin the second half.

Stay tuned to collegian.com and collegiansports.com for live updates.