Authors: Stephen Meyers

The Rams will bring back one of their offensive weapons this weekend against Nevada.

Fully recovered from a concussion sustained in the game against CU-Boulder that kept him out of the contest against Weber State, junior running back John Mosure shed the red jersey in practice Wednesday, participating with the offense and special teams units.

“It feels real good (to be back at practice),” Mosure said. “It’s just exciting to be out there and help my team in the best way that I can.”

Mosure is expected to play in CSU’s home game Saturday against Nevada — a welcome sight, said offensive coordinator Greg Peterson.

“When you lose somebody of the quality of a John Mosure, yea you’re going to feel it a little bit,” Peterson said. “So we’ll be glad to get him back on the field.”

In one half against CU-Boulder, Mosure gained 44 yards on 11 carries, while adding one touchdown on the ground and another on the receiving end of things.

“John brings a lot of things to the table,” head coach Steve Fairchild said.

In Mosure’s absence, junior Leonard Mason, made his first Division I collegiate start last weekend against Weber State, gaining 75 yards on 16 carries.

In its first two games, the offense has only converted 14 percent of its third down attempts, which is something the team spent time on in practice Wednesday.

“It’s looked good in every practice. We spend a lot of time on third down in practice,” Fairchild said. “We were a good team on third down last year, and I’m sure we’ll improve on what we’ve done the last two games.”

Peterson said he feels good about what the team has accomplished so far this week in practice.

“We’re making good progress. I feel that really we’ve had two good back-to-back practices,” Peterson said.

Football beat reporter Stephen Meyers can be reached at sports@collegian.com.