Authors: Madeline Novey, Mike Kalush

While living in the residence halls is new and exciting, and the ease and accessibility of food is more than apparent, we know that the excitement over the all-you-can-eat hamburgers, waffle fries, made-to-order sandwiches and milkshakes will soon wear off. For this reason, both of us have suggested three places –/for breakfast, lunch and dinner –/that new students, and even long-time Fort Collins residents, need to try.

Mike’s recommendations/

Breakfast: Silver Grill Cafe, located on 218 Walnut St., is one of my favorite breakfast cafés. Whether you want a classic American breakfast or just a morning coffee and cinnamon roll at the counter, this is the place. My simple, yet delicious, breakfast consists of coffee and a giant cinnamon roll. Imagine eating a tender, sweet cinnamon roll, perfectly glazed and roughly the size of a small football. Wash it down with a coffee, and I couldn’t think of a better start to my day./

Lunch: I love sandwiches. I’ve perused most of the sandwich places and I always end up going back to Choice City Butcher & Deli on 104 W. Olive St./ I’m a classy guy who sticks to classy sandwiches. I could eat a classic Italian sandwich for lunch and dinner and be fine with it. Order a whole sandwich, versus a half, and get a side and a drink. Want a more interesting sandwich? Then try the Colorado Reuben: corned buffalo with 1000 Island sauce, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut on Jewish rye.

Dinner: Dinner seems to always be the toughest decision. When I moved back to Fort Collins from Madrid, all I had on my mind were tapas and wine. Now, tapas and Fort Collins don’t usually appear in the same sentence, but Café Vino, located at 1200 S. College Ave., has surprised me with its Mediterranean menu. I would recommend this place to any wine-o. Experience the tapas for dinner; the smaller portioned plates allow you to order several different items. The menu is seasonal, but the cheese plate is always a safe bet with a glass of red wine (my personal favorite is the Spanish tempranillo). For a slightly spicy and incredible flavor explosion, try the goat cheese stuffed peppadews. Not a wine person? Don’t worry, they have a huge assortment of imports and micro beers, with 20 of them on tap./

Madeline’s recommendations

Breakfast: In talking with a former co-worker about her favorite restaurants in Fort Collins, she painted a culinary scene: one of a little, yellow house on the corner of S. Meldrum and W. Magnolia Streets that served the best homemade buttermilk biscuits paired with a jar of homemade strawberry rhubarb jam. And as I came to find out, that little, yellow house was home to Lucile’s Restaurant, a café that serves Creole-inspired dishes. If you’re looking for something more authentic, I’d recommend the Eggs Sardou: a medley of creamed spinach, Gulf shrimp, poached eggs and served with their heavenly grits or potatoes and a buttermilk biscuit./

Lunch: If it’s great Mexican food and especially, killer tortillas and salsa you’re looking for, Los Tarascos is your place. Now, almost anyone will tell you that good Mexican food is hard to find, and this is something that my family can attest to. But, as we discussed this very challenge, sitting at our booth in the family-owned restaurant, a waitress set a tortilla container on the table and told us to help ourselves to the salsa bar. When we opened the lid, allowing the steam to escape, dipped the homemade corn tortillas into our separate selections of salsas and took a bite, we knew we had found what we were looking for. With a varied selection of healthy enchiladas, tacos and plenty of seafood, Los Tarascos, located at 626 S. College Ave., has got your Mexican cravings covered.

Dinner: I am gluten intolerant, meaning I can’t eat foods with gluten, wheat or related grains. But, before I stopped consuming the protein that makes up some of the best things on Earth (bread, cakes, pizza, etc.), I loved to eat at the local Caribbean-inspired restaurant Rasta Pasta. Decorated with jungle-themed tablecloths and portraits of the late Bob Marley, Rasta Pasta treats patrons to dishes like the Tortellini Jamaica Mon, which joins ricotta cheese tortellini, pineapples, grapes and bananas together to create a light and fruity, yet savory, dish. And did I mention you can sip drinks at the restaurant’s full bar while listening to reggae?

News Managing Editor Madeline Novey and staff photographer Mike Kalush can be reached at verve@collegian.com. Their column runs biweekly on Wednesdays in the Collegian.