Fight hunger CSU

Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Normally, when people think of September, they think of Labor Day, the start of football season and changing leaves.

No one, or should we say, very few people think about hunger or poverty and how those issues affect our local and national communities.

But, as September is Hunger Action Month, we are here to replace those thoughts of barbecues, Monday night game watching and cool fall days with cold, hard facts.

According to the Food Research and Action Center, 36.2 million people in America live in households considered to be food insecure.

To end this unfortunate phenomenon, the Food Bank of Larimer County is partnering with organizations around the state, including our own CSU, to raise awareness about hunger and poverty.

Two such examples of this food bank-university collaboration are: the “Voices of Hunger” contest, which asks students to submit artistic representations of hunger and poverty, and the annual Cans Around the Oval event, for which CSU students and community members collect several tons of non-perishable goods for the Food Bank of Larimer County.

With two such events offering students a chance to make a difference in their community, we say, drop what you’re doing this month and focus on producing videos, paintings and posters about poverty. Get with a student organization and solicit your neighbors for canned goods.

So forget everything else you associate with September, CSU, and take steps to eradicate the hunger that exists around you.