Authors: Jim Sojourner

Fort Collins Police Services is investigating how a CSU student sustained a life-threatening head injury shortly after CSU’s victory over CU-Boulder in the Rocky Mountain Showdown Sunday night.

Police found sophomore sociology student Andrew David Nelson, 19, unconscious and bleeding from the ears after receiving a tip that a man was lying in the intersection of Skyline and Springfield Drives just after 9 p.m.

Nelson was transported to the Medical Center of the Rockies where he is being treated.

Although FCPS Spokesperson Rita Davis said there is no evidence that the two incidents are related, the intersection where Nelson was found is about 1.5 miles away from the scene of a riot — also Sunday night — where police in riot gear dispersed a disorderly crowd of bottle-hurling students on Laurel Street by firing pepper pellets.

“There is no evidence, at this point, of foul play at this (Nelson’s) particular location,” Davis said, noting that small celebrations occurred all over the city.

According to a press release, Nelson was seen jumping into the back of a pickup truck during a post-game celebration, and it is uncertain what occurred after. Davis said the police are currently gathering information to figure out what happened.

Anyone who saw the incident or has related information is asked to call Fort Collins Police Detective Jim Lenderts at (970) 416-2949.

News Editor Jim Sojourner can be reached at news@collegian.com.