Authors: Crespin Vince

Eight years after the tragic events of Sept. 11, 2001, the CSU College Republicans will host a remembrance service today.

Kelly Carnal, chair of the College Republicans, said the service, called the Never Forget Project, is sponsored by the Young America’s Foundation and is intended to remember those who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks.

It will take place from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the West Lawn of the Lory Student Center.

Carnal, who has been organizing this event since last year, said it is extremely important to remember this event in a non-political fashion.

“It was such a significant day that it is important to put aside differences and come together to recognize that day, which affected so many peoples lives,” Carnal said.

The Never Forget Project will be centered on three features, each to commemorate something different:

Throughout the event, there will be 2,977 American flags visible: one for each life lost in the aftermath of the plane crashes

At 9:11 a.m. there will be a moment of silence, and

A presentation of a specially made American flag. The flag, which is donated by former Rep. Bob Shaffer, has stripes made from the names of those who lost their lives in the attacks.

Many students said they remember exactly where they were and what they were doing on the morning of the attacks.

Natalie Maher, a senior health and exercise sciences student, said she remembered the effect it had on her in the seventh grade and said it still impacts her today.

“It made me sick to my stomach then. I will never forget that feeling. I just remember asking myself why anybody would do something like this to us.” Maher said.

As someone who has a loved one serving in Iraq, Carnal said the memorial is not just to remember the people who passed away on Sept. 11, but also those who were sent to Iraq and Afghanistan in response.

“It’s still impacting those who have family and friends in Iraq. They deserve recognition too,” Carnal said.

Although more than 200 universities nationwide have held this ceremony for the past four years, this will be the first time it will be on the CSU campus.

Amber Reese, a freshman business major, said it is good that somebody is giving the CSU students a chance to recognize the magnitude of the day.

“So many people were affected by it. Everyone should be given the chance to grieve and remember it in their own way,” Reese said.

Staff writer Vince Crespin can be reached at news@collegian.com.