Letter to the editor

Josh Phillips hit the nail on the head: anti-Americanism is rampant. I only wish he had been more specific in identifying the symptoms of this “new epidemic.” What gets me most is people criticizing our missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

As if it were wrong to depose oppressive regimes. The U.S. has successfully brought democracies to countries like Haiti, Panama and Chile. Are Middle Easterners and Central Asians any less deserving of democracy? And recently we’ve all heard a lot of belly-aching about the American health care system.

What I’d like to ask is: Where in the world would you go to find a system more profitable than ours? We’ve also heard complaints about fossil fuels and about anything-less-than-fascistic carbon-emissions regulations. Well, if everyone was that anal about drinking water and air quality, then how would we fuel the American economy that benefits us all?

It’s easy to cry imperialism when you’re already enjoying a standard of living supported by enterprises like Chiquita, Shell, Halliburton and KBR. Recently I even heard one classmate criticizing out loud the American flags we display in our classrooms. I say, if you want a country that doesn’t flaunt its flag, move to Germany.

Bret Sparling

Fort Collins resident