Authors: Jessica Cline

Hoping to get students excited about sustainability, members of eight CSU colleges are presenting on projects highlighting the campus’ commitment to sustainability and related topics today, Thursday and Friday during the university’s first International Colloquium.

Fifteen different sessions, presented by professors and CSU employees over the three days, are representative of the colloquium’s overarching theme: Global Challenges to Sustainability, an idea that event coordinators said is becoming an integral part of life at CSU.

“The International Colloquium focuses on an important theme that affects the entire CSU community, and we feel that sustainability is an ideal first topic,” said Jim Cooney, vice provost for International Affairs./”Sustainability is obviously timely as a topic, and it is especially important since so many CSU students are now involved with the new CSU School of Global Environmental Sustainability.”/

“We/really/want/any/student/who/thinks/that/sustainability affects/his/or/her/life/to/attend the/sessions,”/he said.

The Office of International Programs and the School of Global Environmental Sustainability partnered to organize the large-scale program featuring discussions on: water issues, global-environmental health and biodiversity, among others.

Cooney, Diana Wall, director of the School of Global Environmental Sustainability, and Kristi Hanratty, Office of International Programs coordinator, organized the event.

Wall said that students, mostly from SGES, were included in all levels of planning and will volunteer at colloquium events.

Steps were taken to/make/the/colloquium/as/green/as/possible, Cooney said,/including/choices/about/the food,/beverages/served at the event and/the materials used/to/promote/the/conference./

All/of/the/sessions/are/free/and/open/to the public.

Staff/writer/Jessica/Cline/can/be/reached/at news@collegian.com.