Authors: Erik Anderson

Are you proud to be a CSU Ram?

I shouldn’t have to tell you that the Rams beat the Buffaloes 23-17 Sunday night at Folsom Field in Boulder.

After quarterback Grant Stucker took a knee at the Buffs’ 6-yard line to seal the win, hundreds of Rams fans poured from the stands onto Folsom Field to celebrate with the players and coaches. Even Cam the Ram joined the swarm. If you were in there too, I don’t need to tell you how it felt to dominate the Buffs at their own stadium and then take their field.

Some of the Buffs’ fans were miffed that we stormed the field after the game, calling it a “faux pas” to rush an opponent’s field. To those fans I have this to say:

If you didn’t want us to humiliate you on your own field, you shouldn’t have invited us.

CU-Boulder decided to move this year’s Rocky Mountain Showdown from Invesco Field to Boulder to appease CU season ticket holders who were promised six home games this season. While good for CU season ticket holders, CSU lost more than $600,000 as a result.

Playing in Denver brings a lot of money to the area, so the Metro Denver Sports Commission pays each school, on top of ticket sales, for the opportunity to host the game. Each team stands to make more than $600,000 more playing at Invesco Field instead of at the school stadiums. Because the game wasn’t played in Denver, we lost that $600,000.

CU covered $470,000 of that loss by increasing season ticket prices for the highest-priced seats. We, however, had to eat the loss.

Adding insult to injury, ticket prices for our students increased five-fold, leaving many students priced out of the game. CU students had Showdown tickets included in their season package.

Even if you could afford one, visitor tickets were scarce. Of Folsom’s 53,750 seats, only 3,000 were available for the CSU section, and only 800 of those were sold to students. Green was peppered throughout the stands from fans that were forced to buy single-game tickets.

As if outnumbering us by 50,000 wasn’t enough, CU corralled us into the visitor’s section, tucked away on the sideline beyond the end zone. We had a better view of Cam pooping on the visitor’s ramp than the game (Go Cam!).

In comparison to what should have been, had the game been played at Invesco Field, CU’s handling of our fans was insulting.

If the game remained at Invesco, up to 34,200 Rams fans could cheer together in a mass of green and gold. Last year 20,000 tickets were sold by CSU and 10,000 went to students.

Thankfully, CSU and CU-Boulder have reached a deal that will return the Showdown to Invesco Field until 2019. (In 2020, the game will come to Hughes Stadium). CSU Director of Athletics Paul Kowalczyk estimates the Rams will bring in $1.2 million to $1.4 million from the game next year.

CU thought they could price us out of the game, stuff us away in the visitor section and use home-field advantage to chalk up an early win. So screw you, CU.

Our football team earned that field Sunday night, and we paid plenty for it. For at least the next 10 years, Folsom Field will belong to us.

Erik Anderson is a senior natural resources major. His column appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.