Authors: Stern Seth

Rather than write a column on a single point, I wrote something a little different this week, a collection of questions not for answer, but for thought.

If the Federal Reserve insulates monetary policy from politics, why does the president appoint the chair?

Does anyone else remember when we went months without hearing from Dick Cheney? How nice were those days in retrospect?

If the Federal Reserve works as intended, why has the dollar lost 96 percent of its purchasing power since the Fed was created in 1913?

According to some on the left, the war in Iraq was not worth a single American life, yet according to some of those very same people, Ted Kennedy’s role in the civil rights movements eradicates the fact he allowed a 29-year-old woman to die alone, underwater and in the dark as he attempted to create a cover story. Does that make these people hypocrites or merely idiots?

Were we to measure the negatives the federal government has introduced to our lives, the nation and the world and compared them to the Constitution as written, would the negatives be possible had the government acted in accordance with Constitutional limitations?

Why do some Americans think the federal government will do a good job with health care when it has run AMTRAK, the USPS, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and every other business or quasi business it attempted to run into ruin?

If the recession began because we did not possess the personal credit to sustain the inflated spending at the rates the easy credit allowed, and the economic stimuli in effect only delayed and deepened the necessary and natural recession, how bad will things get when the effects of the latest stimulus end?

When the states ratified Prohibition, alcohol became highly profitable, lost no popularity and empowered organized crime. When the Nixon Administration began the Drug War, drugs became highly profitable, no less popular and empowered organized crime in dozens of countries. Now the legislature moves toward doing it again with tobacco, while some still lean toward another attempt at gun control. Why does Washington refuse to learn prohibition fails?

If we want the nation to survive, and history teaches us empires always fall, why are we not seriously discussing ending our overseas empire?

If a centrally planned economy works, why did the Soviet Union dissolve?

If President Bush did irreparable harm to the right and President Obama does irreparable harm to the left, and that allows a moderate party to emerge as a legitimate option, did he fulfill his promise to bring change to Washington?

Republicans dismissed Congressman Ron Paul in the primaries because his views were not in line with the party frontrunners. He owns the most conservative voting record in the House; then-Sen. Obama owned the most liberal voting record in the Senate. How much closer would the election have been with two candidates of opposite fiscal ideologies?

During initial U + 2 ordinance discussions in Fort Collins City Council, Councilmember Kelly Ohlson said of local college students, “It’s not their behavior. It’s their presence that’s the problem.” Does the use of the pronoun “they” qualify his comments as discriminatory?

Councilmember Ohlson labeled us as a transient population. Will the students of CSU join in a show of force to prove his point? Do we possess the resolve and ability to organize a boycott-like removal of our transient dollars to businesses located outside of Fort Collins city limits for a day, a week or a month?

Seth J. Stern is a senior journalism and sociology major and a political science minor. His column appears Fridays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.