Letter to the editor

Dear students of Colorado State University and University of Colorado at Boulder,

This weekend the 2009-2010 college football season kicks off for CU-Boulder and CSU with what is likely the most celebrated rivalry in the state of Colorado.

The Rocky Mountain Showdown/is a spirited competition between two great universities and two proud student bodies. The face-off starts at 5:30 p.m. on national television, under the lights of Folsom Field in Boulder.

With the intense competition of the Rocky Mountain Showdown comes the unfortunate opportunity for disrespectful fan behavior and unsafe pre/post game practices. Leadership from both universities has worked together in the past few weeks to create a safe and enjoyable environment for all fans.

We want to urge students from both schools to compete without resorting to irresponsible, disrespectful or unsportsmanlike behavior. In light of the national attention, we should all be aware of the consequences to our actions.

Misconduct can be detrimental to more than just our college careers; our actions can ruin the experience of those around us, damage the reputation of our universities and discourage a positive portrayal of college students in Colorado.

When our football teams go head-to-head on Sunday, let us remember that while our schools compete heavily both on and off the field, together we represent students of higher education and we can act with sportsmanship and class.

In the spirit of healthy competition, we encourage both sides to show their school pride with passion and enthusiasm and to do so respectfully and responsibly.

Let’s act with integrity and enjoy the game safely,

Dan Gearhart

ASCSU President

Colorado State University

Tom Higginbotham

Tri-Executive, UCSU

University of Colorado