Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Student government, we may have called you boneheads in the past, but this time you’re spot on.

On Wednesday, the Associated Students of CSU Senate voted unanimously to propose a slew of changes to the city ordinance that restricts more than three unrelated people from living together in one residence.

Fort Collins’ 3-Unrelated law is discriminatory and unjust. It is designed specifically to target students and, particularly in these troubled economic times, the law makes finding safe, affordable housing a chore for many and impossible for others.

And while previous administrations pursued a full repeal of the law, this year’s government is taking the smart road and fighting a battle we might just be able to win.

The proposed reforms include changing the occupancy limit to four unrelated tenants, making extra occupancy rentals more available, extending the amount of time violators have to relocate and increasing education and enforcement of other peacekeeping ordinances.

We at the Collegian believe a full repeal of the law is the only just course of action, but we also recognize that some city council members (we’re looking at you Kelly Ohlson) would prefer to flip students the metaphorical middle finger rather than consider reason or justice.

As such, the only prudent course of action is to push for modest, sensible reforms, which is exactly what our student government is doing.

Keep fighting the good fight, ASCSU. We’re behind you all the way.