Authors: Jessica Cline

The current question is: What do poverty and hunger look like to CSU students and how does that perception affect the greater community?

Look for the answer when the winners of the Voices of Hunger Contest — which asks students to submit videos, photography, poetry, essays and other illustrations that raise awareness about the issue of hunger –/are announced on Sept. 22.

The contest, sponsored by CSU, the Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement Office and the Food Bank for Larimer County in support of Hunger Action Month, is also a way to raise money for people in need in Larimer County and surrounding areas.

Contest creator and Food Bank of Larimer County Director Amy Pezzani hopes that in designing their projects, students will do research, understand the prominence of the issues and share the information with others. She engaged the CSU students because of their past involvement in Cans Around the Oval, an annual canned food drive.

“I think that students in their research will be more sympathetic to the issues that cause hunger and realize how they, as one person, can make a change in our community and our country,” she said.

The contest opened to all students Monday, and the deadline to submit entries is Sept. 15.

Entries are not limited to one artistic medium, and suggested forms include: photography, poetry, songwriting, painting, essays, social activism activities and videos. All submissions must be captured on video and be three to five minutes long.

The contest winner will go on a trip to Los Angeles to see a concert titled Rock a Little, Feed a Lot featuring Sheryl Crow, Ben Harper, Good Charlotte, Queen Latifah and others. They will later discuss their entry and how to further initiatives to fight hunger with CSU President Tony Frank.

“This project hopes to illustrate that one person really can make a difference simply by understanding an issue and working to create awareness,” Colton said. “More than anything, our goal is educating students and the public at the same time.”

“In essence, everyone wins because the students will learn a lot about the issues surrounding hunger and the CSU community benefits because these projects will represent all of us in our mission to end hunger in our community.”

Students can access submitted videos and cast their vote on YouTube.

Pezzani, Bob Moore, the editor of the Fort Collins Coloradoan, Dawn Putney, the owner of Toolbox Creative and Fort Collins Mayor Doug Hutchinson will then judge the top 10 videos.

Staff writer Jessica Cline can be reached at news@collegian.com.