Letter to the Editor

Authors: Lauren Williams VP of Public Relations for the PanHellenic Council CSU

In spite of the recent events involving Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., as well as various editorials submitted to express personal opinions, the Greek Community feels it’s necessary to dispel preconceived notions regarding membership in our organizations.

Hazing is not condoned or tolerated within any of our organizations. Failure to comply with University and Federal Laws results in swift action against the organization and its members.

Case in point: Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. lost recognition from their governing council and the university. This situation, while unfortunate, is an isolated incident and is not an accurate portrayal of the CSU Greek community. Greek organizations value rituals and traditions that their founders implemented hundreds of years ago.

None of these rituals include mental, physical or emotional abuse. We value the safety of our members and work to uphold the most positive, enjoyable and well-rounded collegiate experience.

Andy, it is unfortunate you had to endure the type of behavior you outlined in your article Monday. In addition, we’re sorry you did not experience all the positive aspects of being a Greek member.

However, you cannot speak for the CSU Greek community because you were not a Greek member here. Joining the Greek community isn’t about needing to prove you are worthy of membership. Rather, it is about participating in centuries-old rituals that bond us to one another.

We are proud of what we have to offer every member, which includes development of personal and professional skills, strong academic success, learning how to be selfless and work to better the whole of society and build lifelong friendships. This is who we are and this is what sustains our organizations year after year, decade after decade.

If you are considering joining a CSU fraternity or sorority and are concerned about hazing policies and practices, please contact Sonja Jensen, director of Greek Life in the Greek Life Office (Rm 176, the Lory Student Center).

Lauren Williams

VP of Public Relations

Pan-Hellenic Council

Colorado State University

Authors: The National PanHellenic Council at Colorado State University

In reference to last Thursday’s article written by J. David McSwane regarding the sorority-hazing incident, we, the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) at Colorado State University would like to address the issue with a formal statement./

NPHC serves as the umbrella organization that oversees the affiliate Black Greek fraternities and sororities that comprise our council at CSU. In the spring of 2009, our council took swift actions on the hazing allegations of the Omicron Omicron Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. and removed recognition of the sorority from our council. As a council, our purpose is to promote unity and expose members to the “service for life” philosophy and foster leadership development and scholarship.

Due to the actions of the Omicron Omicron Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., they represent themselves, and as a council, we are not responsible for their actions, and in no way shape or form condone hazing in any of our fraternities and sororities. Our respective organizations have zero tolerance for hazing and are in strict guidelines with the university student conduct.

Our mission is/”Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.” We value high scholastic achievement, brotherhood/sisterhood, community empowerment through educational, economic and cultural activities; as well as to serve as activists on campus and in our communities. NPHC members are devoted to serve as a collective voice in our community, and membership is a lifelong commitment, beyond college years.

Since 1990, the acts of underground pledging and hazing have been abolished by our respectable organizations. NPHC strictly adheres to this policy and expectation and only recognize chapters that live up to their values and mission statements set fourth by our founders.

We understand that being a recognized student organization at CSU is a privilege, and despite the actions of this isolated incident, we will continue to uphold the fraternal values and strengthen our campus and our community. We strive to represent each Greek Letter organization to the best of our abilities.

As CSU Greeks, we live up to our expectations as leaders, through programming and events to educate students, we remain steadfast in our efforts to stay unified and continue to serve as a resource and activists for others.

Sincerely,

The National Pan-Hellenic Council at Colorado State University