Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

In a move that exemplifies CSU’s new commitment to bolstering academia at our fair university, the administration announced that it has, for the past four years, been conducting a capital campaign that aims to bring $500 million to the school’s starved academic colleges by 2012.

The move is part of a growing national trend of CSU’s peer institutions trying to establish alternative revenue streams as state and federal funding for higher education wanes at alarming rates.

This is especially important for CSU because, let’s face it, fellow scholars, the university isn’t exactly the cream of the crop when it comes to its finances.

Colorado is, and has been as far back as our double-decade lives allow us too remember, one the worst funded states in the nation when it comes to higher education.

Adding insult to injury, Frank’s predecessor, Larry Penley, didn’t exactly show a whole lot of support for students’ finances at CSU. During his time at CSU, tuition and fees skyrocketed by more than 50 and 70 percent, respectively.

This money-making venture, if successful, looks to be a bright change in CSU’s future. Even better, half of the money will be invested in scholarships to slow the shrinking of our thin wallets.

In the abysmal economy, it’s great to hear the university is taking matters into its own hands. The campaign represents a strong commitment on part of CSU to further its land grant mission to foster alternative revenue streams and establish relationships with alumni and donors.

So, applause, tip of the hat.

Now we just need to answer the question of whether the university will meet this goal. Only time will tell, but hopefully this is the first step for bettering our university.