Authors: Matt Minich

In recognition of CSU’s efforts to promote diversity in higher education, Minority Access, Inc. will present the university with a national award in mid-September.

Based in Maryland, MAI is a nationwide non-profit organization that works with universities in an effort to diversify their campuses and research departments, the group’s Chairman of the Board Samuel Myers said.

CSU was nominated for the Role Model award, which is given to individuals and institutions that encourage minorities in higher education, particularly in the field of biomedical research.

The MAI’s Role Model Initiative, a collaborative effort between it and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, is aimed at narrowing the health disparity gap between minorities and the rest of the U.S. population, Myers said.

The award is designed to publicly recognize minority educators and researchers so that they may inspire young people to the same degree as minority athletes or entertainers, he said.

MAI recognized CSU diversity on the whole, not just a specific individual.

“This speaks to our shared commitment and the values we try to live by every day in our offices, labs, performance halls, athletic facilities and classrooms,” Interim Chair of the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity Roselyn Cutler said in a press release.

Cutler will attend the organization’s 10th annual National Role Model Conference in Washington

D.C. from Sept. 11 to 13 to receive the award on behalf of CSU. She could not be reached for further comment.

Benjamin Wilson, the African American surgeon who led the 1987 surgical team that separated a pair of Siamese twins joined at the skull, was among the award’s former recipients.

Senior Sociology student Marlon Blake, who called himself an active member of the black community on campus, agreed that CSU deserves recognition for its diversity efforts.

“(CSU) has the commitment to bringing diversity, multiculturalism and social justice to the table,” Blake said. He cited efforts by the university’s Black Student Alliance and Gaining Understanding through Involvement, Diversity and Education, commonly known as GUIDE, as evidence the university is “going in the right direction.”

Senior Reporter Matt Minich can be reached at news@collegian.com.