Authors: Joel Hafnor

For the second consecutive night, the CSU volleyball team was defeated in straight sets on their home floor, this time at the hands of the Oregon State Beavers (21-25, 23-25, 19-25).

The Rams (0-2) were competitive throughout, and had a chance to even the match at a game apiece, leading 23-21 in the second game.

“Game 2 was ours,” said Coach Tom Hilbert. “We blew it with three straight hitting errors to end the game.”

The Beavers (2-0) were led by All-American outside hitter Rachel Rourke, who paved the way with 16 kills. Rourke’s imposing 6-foot-5 frame seemed to change the complexion of the game for the Rams, both offensively and defensively.

“We expected her to play well,” said Danielle Minch, the Rams junior outside hitter. “But we could’ve blocked her a lot better.”

Ultimately, it was the Rams lack of consistency that led to defeat.

“We’re seeing good things happening in certain areas,” said Hilbert. “It’s about putting it all together so that every aspect of our game is strong.”

Even with a loss seeming imminent, the Rams resolve was visibly stronger Saturday night than in their defeat Friday vs. Pepperdine. Down 19-9 in the third and final game, the Rams rallied to within three points before ultimately losing the match.

“There seemed to be no fight in us against Pepperdine,” said senior libero Katelin Batten. “It wasn’t like that at all tonight. We played as if we had nothing to lose.”

The Rams last chance to notch a win in the Asics Coors Classic comes tomorrow afternoon, as they play host to Cal Poly at 2 PM.