Authors: Erin Smith

Fort Collins Police Services hosted an informational community meeting Thursday night to notify the public about the release of a sexually violent predator, Martin Wayne Lundin.

Lundin, 36, was convicted of sexual assault against a 7-year-old child while in a position of trust in November 2002. He was released from the Colorado Department of Corrections Aug. 11 and is now on parole and is subject to sex offender intensive supervised probation for a minimum of 10 years.

According to Colorado law, the community must be notified when a sexually violent predator is released. Sexually violent predators are individuals who are found by the court or parole board to be at a high risk to re-offend and may meet specific additional requirements regarding their crime.

A team of four law enforcement professionals, a parole officer, probation officer, behavioral treatment officer and a case manager at the halfway house, will monitor Lundin throughout his probation period.

“The sex offender in this case is being monitored as intensely as he can be,” said Chris Villalpando, Lundin’s assigned parole officer.

Lundin will be monitored through polygraph tests every three to six months, daily contact with Villalpando and his probation officer, Eric Petersen, and GPS tracking.

“When someone is on parole and probation and living in a halfway house they have as much supervision as possible as a member in the community,” Petersen said.

Additional conditions placed on Lundin include daily drug and alcohol testing, and a 4 a.m. to 8 p.m. curfew.

He will be allowed no computer or Internet access and no contact with the victim, the victim’s family or anyone younger than 18.

Lundin, who has been living in a halfway house since his release, is employed in Fort Collins. He will be required to sign in and out of the house to go to work and call in once he reaches his destination.

“He will not float,” Petersen said, fielding questions from a handful of community members who came to the informational meeting.

“It’s important to people to feel at ease about a sexual offender living in their community,” Petersen said, adding that the meeting was primarily educational.

“The meeting allows the community to know what’s happening. It’s important for safety to let the community know they (sex offenders) are there,” Villalpando said.

Lundin has been previously convicted of burglary, larceny, probation violation, possession of a concealed weapon and possession of dangerous drugs.

According to documents distributed by city police, there are currently 219 registered sex offenders residing in Fort Collins. Four are classified as sexually violent predators.

Staff reporter Erin Smith can be reached at reporters@collegian.com.