Authors: Erik Anderson,

Showdown should come to Fort Collins

By Seth Stern

Buffs are investing in their season ticket holders. And why not? The Rocky Mountain Showdown is moving back to Hippievania next week, begging the question: If a tree falls on a mime, does anyone care?

In this analogy, the tree is the loss of $500,000 for CSU paid by the Metro Denver Sports Commission to play at Invesco Field at Mile High Stadium, the mime is CSU’s football supporters, quiet and outnumbered in recent years.

While I’m no fan of CU, I do possess the ability to recognize that CU-Boulder’s passion for the gridiron far surpasses that of my institution.

Perhaps some of the new support facilities benefit our recruiting and as a corollary, performance of the Rams, but performance cannot be the only reason for the lack of green and gold in Mile High in recent Showdowns. After all, only one of these teams played in a bowl game last year, and it certainly was not the team quarterbacked by the coach’s son. Nor was it the team most recently making headlines for lacking character with extreme prejudice.

Sadly, I have to say CU just far outdoes CSU when it comes to promoting their product off-campus and taking care of their season ticket holders. In fact, getting another home game for season ticket holders was the specific reason CU opted to return to Folsom Field this year.

Perhaps in 2010, CSU will demonstrate the same respect and invest in their season ticket holders rather than taking the easy money.

Seth J. Stern is a senior journalism and sociology major and a political science minor. His column appears Fridays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.

Uphold tradition, keep Showdown at Invesco

By Erik Anderson

If you bought a $72 ticket to this year’s Showdown between the Rams and the Buffs, you already have one good reason to wish the game was at its historical home of Invesco Field – last year you could have bought a ticket, gas to Denver, a hot dog and more than a responsible amount of alcohol at the game for less than the cost of this year’s ticket.

If you’re like most students however, you either decided it just wasn’t worth it or you didn’t buy a ticket before they sold out.

Only 3,000 tickets were available for Rams fans this year and fewer than 1,000 of those were sold to students.

Last year CSU sold 20,000 tickets with 10,000 purchased by students. If you thought we were outnumbered last year, get ready. This time we’ll be in the wrong neighborhood, after dark.

The change of venues is beyond CSU’s control. CU decided to exercise its contractual right to host the game at Folsom field this year.

The Metro Denver Sports Commission (MDSC) negotiates with the schools to hold the game at Invesco Field. Part of that deal is the MDSC pays each school about $500,000 on top of ticket sales for the opportunity to have the game in Denver.

So why the move? By moving to Folsom, CU was able to raise its season ticket prices this year using the CSU game as a selling point and raise an additional $470,000. The remainder is paid for by your $72 ticket.

Next year we have the option of hosting the game at Hughes Stadium. Let’s be the bigger people and keep the game at its traditional home at Invesco Field for everyone’s enjoyment.

Erik Anderson is a senior natural resources major. His column appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.