Nice work, frosh

Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Welcome to CSU.

You are now part of a university that is at the bottom of the barrel for higher education funding in the entire country.

Don’t get us wrong. We have a nationally renown vet school, we spent $303 million on research last year and doubled our invention disclosures in the last two years –/not a bad rap sheet. The students working at the Collegian are proud to be a part of this institution.

But at the same time, as journalists who cover the university, we know that most of those wonderful accomplishments came with a heavy price tag as CSU plays the second-favorite in a state where a college education takes a back seat to fiscal conservatism.

In the last six years, tuition and student fees here have risen by more than 50 and 70 percent, respectively.

Asking yourself how much that hurts?

$4,424 is the bomb you’ll see on your bill this semester, while $2,286 was all you would have seen had you been born half a decade earlier.

Who’s to blame?

Well there are a quite a few players, but here are the main ones:

The conservative Colorado Constitution mandates that lawmakers can only make a limited tax increase each year, while it ensures that a certain amount of the revenue attained goes to other state programs, such as road systems and K-12 education.

One politician said this month that this model leaves Colorado universities “in the yogurt.”

Adding insult to injury, administrative spending at CSU has skyrocketed in last six years, while funding for the academic colleges and the library has seen much slower financial growth.

But, hopefully, with a new university administration and a revamped legislature, this will get better.

Either way, don’t be dismayed.

If you keep at it, you might have a degree in seven years from CSU that, as our esteemed colleague Jonathan Kastner says, doesn’t double as a punch line.