Daniels taken to hospital

Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Eugene Daniels, a sophomore defensive lineman for CSU, was taken by ambulance to a local hospital after suffering from an apparent case of heat exhaustion following Thursday afternoon’s football practice.

Head coach Steve Fairchild announced that after spending a night in the hospital, Daniels is in good condition and is expected to be released sometime this morning. The second year coach blamed Daniel’s heat exhaustion on a combination of temperature, time and location of practice and extra work.

“It was a little warmer on the turf than it’s been here (the grass practice field) and we went right at 2pm,” Fairchild said. “Because of the rotation he probably had a few more reps than he normally gets to. But I’m not a doctor.”

Fairchild went on to credit trainer Terry DeZeeuw and his staff for handling the situation the correct way.

“I thought Terry and his staff did a great job,” he said. “They were with him every step of the way. There is a point when you want to be overly cautious and I thought our staff handled that really well.”

Daniels, a Texas native, could not be reached for comment.

Editor’s note (6:10 p.m.): According to Zak Gilbert, CSU Athletic’s Head of Media Relations, Daniels was released from the hospital on Friday afternoon. Daniels did not practice on Friday.