Authors: Emily Johnson

After 16 years of service in the CSU community people know the man behind the face, but in a public open forum Monday, people from the university community still had questions and concerns about Frank’s plans for his presidential future.

Addressing the turnout of about 30 people, Frank shared his general feeling about his position as future president before answering administrative questions that followed.

“The people of Colorado State University have a very unique shared commitment to accomplishing a set of goals and objectives that are very worthwhile,” Frank said.

This motivates Frank, especially when certain challenges — like the future of funding to higher education and finding a balance between research and academics — seem daunting.

“If I can help play a role in continuing to advocate for (this) institution and all the people here who make it what it can be, then that’s something I remain very enthusiastic about,” he said.

The forum was created as one of many taking place state-wide as an opportunity for all communities to pose questions to Frank, the CSU System Board of Governor’s final candidate for president as chosen last month in a public board meeting. The board will officially induct Frank as CSU president in its June 24 meeting.

The BOG’s final pick for CSU chancellor, Joe Blake, is scheduled for induction in that same meeting.

Rajinder Ranu, professor of Bioagriculture and Plant Sciences, who was a strong supporter of conducting a national search for president, wanted to know what made Frank so special.

“I appreciate your talents and ability and administrative style. It’s just that we haven’t seen the competition,” Ranu said.

Frank said he didn’t consider his candidacy particularly special and was uncomfortable justifying why the BOG should or shouldn’t move in a certain way. He understood that if the BOG believed a candidate was a good fit for the job and felt that decision was most efficient way to move forward on that is this particular selection process, than he supported that.

He understood the opposing arguments as well.

“I wouldn’t challenge anyone’s right to say competitive processes are important. In fact I would support the right of the people to make that argument,” Frank said.

Other issues centered around the economy, five-year goals, extension program improvement, and sustainanable public education funding, “checks and balances” within the administration and Frank’s presence on campus.

Overall, support for Frank was positive.

“Good luck,” said Lisa Youngblade, department head of Human Development and Family Studies. “You have a campus that is really behind you.”

Staff writer Emily Johnson can be reached at news@collegian.com.