Authors: Collegian Staff Report

On Thursday, the Ram softball team was in Utah to play a double-header, trying to extend their winning streak past three against the Utes.

The day didn’t begin as planned; the Rams lost their first game 12-3. The make-up game started off badly for the Rams as the Utes scored two runs in the top of the first. But the Rams’ Christine Thompson and Allison Majam hit back-to-back doubles to tie the game.

The Rams gave up two more runs but sliced the lead to 5-3 after senior catcher Shannon Causgrove hit her first homer of the season. The Utes were able to put up seven more runs in their blowout win.

After a short intermission the Rams hit the field ready for the subsequent game. Both teams witnessed spectacular pitching as the game was scoreless until the forth.

The Rams scored three times in the fourth inning. Rebecca Penland hit a double to earn two runs and Thompson scored on error.

The Utes came right back scoring three runs in the bottom of the fifth. The Rams fought back to take the lead; they never lost in the sixth when Causrove hit her second homer of the day. Caitlan Stem scored an insurance run in the top of the seventh when Majam singled up the middle.

The Rams got hot when they needed to in the second game, and will need to keep that momentum going as the face BYU, who is undefeated at home this Saturday.