The right wing’s newfound religion of protest, discontent, intolerance of government spending, disgust with excess taxation, etc., amuses me as an advocate of Constitutional adherence.

The reality is, Republican politicians and constituents have no leg on which to stand. Since 2000, Republican legislators failed to check the Republican president even once.

Unfortunately this is the case anytime one party controls the two elected branches since the turn of the 18th century. Politicians now execute the wishes of the party or the same-party president, not the people. That’s a trait of both parties, but it’s a problem for we, the people.

Nullification was believed and advocated by Thomas Jefferson and James Madison to be a fundamental state right under the 10th Amendment. They both identified Congressional acts not defined by the Constitution as null simply because Congress was given specific and restricted rights.

The immoral and illegal nature of presidents overstepping their Constitutional rights is only slightly less disgusting than the indifference shown repeatedly by Congress in not enforcing their Constitutional responsibilities.

Secession is another potential scenario for states’ rights on the horizon. The following is a situation that screamed for nullification and threats of secession. Here’s how it could have played out:

Oct. 24, 2001, in America’s most demonstrative display of legislative stupidity, Congress approved the Patriot Act 357-66. Not to be outdone in a game of “anything you can do, I can do dumber,” the Senate passed the Act not 24-hours later by a vote of 96-1. No one read it before voting.

Realizing the federal government has repeatedly violated the contract (the Constitution) between Washington D.C. and the states of the union, governors around the nation ordered their Attorneys General to review their legal options under the umbrella of states’ rights.

Five states — Massachusetts, Vermont, Illinois, Oregon and Michigan — still bitter from the 2000 general election, concluded nullification was their right under the Constitution and promptly declared the Patriot Act null within their borders.

Confident from a 90 percent approval rating, President Bush reiterated his message to the terrorists of the world, “If you’re not with us, you’re against us.” He issued warning orders to and attempted activation of the National Guard in all five states. Left and right wing extremists, just waiting for the opportunity to exercise their Second Amendment rights, armed in preparation for the coming fight.

Just imagine where this could go from here. (See: War of Northern Aggression)

The tragedy is that our educational system is funded by these children of privilege. As a result, we’ve forgotten the basic facts behind secession. Our country was founded by secessionists. You can’t get around that fact.

Obama-loyalists counter discussion of secession, reminding us that as bad as things got with the last president, secession wasn’t discussed.

Would you remain silent in a bad relationship because it wasn’t as bad as your worst relationship?

I retired from the Air Force a year ago after 11 years. The oath I took begins, “will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.”

The biggest enemies to the Constitution have been domestic since 1815, and they hold elected office.

The Constitution was intentionally written for literal interpretation. Unfortunately, we keep electing attorneys, a group typically unwilling to limit interpretations that don’t provide a means for their agenda.

America must put the Constitution ahead of politics. If we vote for those who will return us to Constitutional guidelines, we may avoid great loss, but if we continue to vote for the misguided paths of Republican and Democrat, some of us will pay with our lives and all of us will pay with our freedom.

Enjoy your summer, CSU. You are witnessing a time of turmoil unseen between our shores in over 200 years. No matter what happens over the summer and beyond, remember Jefferson’s words, “That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.”

Seth J. Stern is a junior journalism and sociology major and a political science minor. His tirade appears Fridays in the Collegian. Send comments, criticism, vilification, or scorn to letters@collegian.com.