Authors: Madeline Novey

The Associated Students of CSU voted Wednesday to approve a total student fee increase of $23.28 for full-time, on-campus students in the 2009-10 academic year.

The amount, which was approximately $11.73 lower than the increase for the 2008-2009 academic year, reflects the sickened economic times student government leaders said, a fact they said benefits students most.

“This year was actually pretty tame, and I think it reflects the economic situation,” said Seth Walters, former director of Legislative Affairs for ASCSU. “There were only a few increases; the most obvious was the athletics.”

“In previous years we’ve seen total increases from $25 to $50.”

The student fee package, which encompasses fees for the Lory Student Center, the University Counseling Center, the Student Recreation Center and ASCSU, among others, was widely accepted by Senate, said former ASCSU Vice President Quinn Girrens. The $15 student fee increase to the Athletics Department, the most expensive fee increase in the package, sparked debate among the Senate.

“You know what, (the fee package) did face some contention in regards to Athletics,” said Girrens, the former chair of the Student Fee Review Board, an ASCSU entity that makes student fee recommendations. “Senate had every opportunity in the world to come talk to us about this . I’m a little disappointed with that behavior.”

The fee’s few opponents said the $15 increase, from $88.85 to $103.85, was unfair to students in light of the current economic state and thought the money was better invested in other university departments.

“At any other time something like that would be justifiable,” said David Ambrose, a senator for the College of Business. “Just not during these times. That’s a ton of money . I want to see it go to Career Center to help (students) get jobs or to funding teachers’ salaries.”

The SFRB unanimously approved the athletics fee increase on March 9 in order to improve athletic success and increase CSU’s national visibility, according to directors and university administration.

The following university departments requested fee increases for full-time, on-campus students in 2009-2010:

ASCSU: $2.41

Career Center: $1.06

Conflict Resolution: $0.09

Hartshorn Health Services: $1.40

Lory Student Center: $1.20

Off-Campus Student Services/Resources for Adult Learners: $1.54

Student Leadership, Involvement, and Community Engagement: $0.07

The University Counseling Center: $0.39

The Hartshorn Health Services fee increase will go to pay for the continuation of current services and the merger between Hartshorn Health Center and the University Counseling Center into the CSU Health Network.

This increase is an investment in CSU’s students and will improve the quality of services provided by both institutions, said Vice President-Elect Tim Hole, who also worked with Hartshorn to develop its fee increase proposal as a member of SFRB.

Hole said the CSU Health Network, which will combine the mental and physical health services provided by Hartshorn and the CSU Counseling Center, is “one central point (that) will dramatically improve the quality of life on campus.”

Overall, Hole agreed with his associates, saying university departments were careful to keep fee increases as low as possible.

“I think we did a great job this year; we didn’t increase (the fees) dramatically,” he said. “I would say the fee areas (departments) worked very well with us . and made sure they had a minimum impact on students.”

Assistant News Editor Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com.

ASCSU Budget Increases for 2009-2010 school year

Total student fees for 20090-10 academic year: $748.06, per full-time, on-campus students per the fall and spring

Total fee increase for 2009-10 academic year: $23.28

Total fee increase for 2008-09 academic year: $35.03

Student fee increases by department for 2009-2010 academic year

ASCSU: $2.41

Athletic Department: $15

Career Center: $1.06

Conflict Resolution: $0.09

Hartshorn Health Services: $1.40

Lory Student Center: $1.20

ASAP: $0.12

The University Counseling Center: $0.39

Information provided by ASCSU Web site