Another step to justice

In May of 2005, the world was wide open to Javad Marshall-Fields.

A recent graduate of CSU, Marshall-Fields had just been offered a job in Virginia, according to his uncle, and was to be married to fellow CSU alumnus Vivian Wolfe.

Sadly, Marshall-Fields promise was cut short.

In June of 2005, Marshall-Fields and Wolfe were shot and killed while driving in Aurora.

Four years after the crime, one of the men responsible for this reprehensible act was finally brought to justice.

On Thursday, Aurora resident Robert Ray was found guilty, by a jury of his peers, of first-degree murder for his role in planning the deaths of Marshall-Fields — who was set to testify against him in connection with another murder — and Wolfe.

A second man, Sir Mario Owens, has already been charged for the shootings and has been sentenced to death by lethal injection.

According to the Denver Post, prosecutors have one more man who has yet to be tried.

It’s been a long time coming, but the Collegian Editorial Board would like to commend the prosecutors in Arapahoe County for their tenacity and hard work to bring the men responsible for this heinous crime to justice. It may have taken a long time, but it was certainly worth the wait.

Our hearts and prayers remain with the victims’ family and friends. Hopefully, this recent development will help bring them one step closer to closure.