Authors: kelly bleck

Warmer weather usually brings merchants, volunteers and preachers to the Lory Student Center Plaza. Wednesday, however, brought a little change: the Association for Student Activity Programming’s Battle of the Bands.

Co-sponsored by ASAP Concerts and ASAP Special Events, the four-band battle was originally set to take place on its own, but the student organization decided to partner it with its annual Spring Fest.

“We proposed that (the events) be combined; it would be easier,” said Kelsey Manning, ASAP Special Events assistant coordinator. “It would be a bigger event, with pizza, inflatables, massages, a duck pond and now bands.”

The bands performed on a makeshift stage, sectioned off near the LSC. A public address system was provided by the LSC Event Planning Office, which had helped with the ASAP Battle of the Bands last year.

“I believe ASAP did it last year, and it went pretty well,” said Nathan Kogut, ASAP concert coordinator. “We proposed to do it again, so that’s where the idea came from.”

The concert, designed primarily for student entertainment, also served as an avenue for exposure as well, allowing up-and-coming student bands to garner recognition. Each band represented a different genre, exposing student bands that may not get too many opportunities.

An ASAP committee finalized the list of student bands, taking from a pool of 20 applicants.

“We wanted to have a chance for student bands to play in front of a large group of people, specifically their peers, and on campus as well,” Kogut said.

Each band had 35 minutes to play, including set-up time. Last year’s Battle of the Bands featured two stages, so when one band finished the next was set up and ready to play immediately afterward.

This year, however, space for the Spring Fest activities — including a blow up slide, twister and duck pond — allowed for only one stage.

Bands were judged by fellow students at a voting station near the venue.

“The winner gets the chance to perform next semester to kick off the semester,” Kogut said. “We’d also like to start doing student showcases with five to six students or student bands performing. We’d like to tie it in to something more like that or even give them studio time.”

After much debate and more than 300 votes cast, Point08 won the competition. Next year they will get to advertise with the Student Center and perform their own show on the Plaza.

“This was a great opportunity since we get emails and phone calls from students who would like to perform on campus,” Kogut said. “This gave us a chance to see who would be interested in something like this.”

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@collegian.com.