Authors: Justin Warren

The selection is over and the field is set for the 2009 NCAA Men’s Golf Regionals, with the CSU men’s golf team selected to enter the tournament as the sixth seed.

This will be the Rams 13th post season appearance in the NCAA Regionals since 1996 and the sixth seed is the highest seed CSU has ever received in the program’s 19 years.

“We have played outstanding golf throughout the season and that shows in our bid and strong seed in the regional tournament,” head coach Jamie Bermel said.

In his 10 years of coaching the CSU men’s golf program, Bermel has now coached the Rams to nine NCAA Regional appearances.

The NCAA Regionals, hosted by Columbia University, are set to begin May 14 and end May 16 at the Galloway National Golf Club in Galloway, N. J.

Fourteen teams will compete in six regionals with the top five finishers in each regional advancing to the finals.

“There are a lot of great teams competing for a chance to play in the national tournament, but we feel that our squad is capable of competing with the best programs in the country and look forward to seeing what we can do in the field,” Bermel said.

Four other Mountain West conference schools will join the Rams in the regionals. TCU, the 2009 MWC Champions, San Diego State, UNLV, and New Mexico will all be competing.

The top five seeds in the Rams’ regionals consist of two ACC schools (top seed Clemson and fifth seed Wake Forest), along with two SEC teams (number two Alabama and fourth seed Tennessee). Illinois from the Big Ten Conference will enter as the third seed.

CSU earned the postseason invitation after posting 10 top-tens in their 10 tournaments of the season. Eight of the Rams’ top-tens were top-fives, including tying the school record with five victories in a single season.

The Rams are coming off a disappointing fifth place finish in last week’s MWC championship in Tucson, Ariz., finishing 10 strokes behind TCU.

Next week CSU will look to return to the strength they showed in the fall-season where the Rams won four of their five victories, including three tournaments in a row from October 5-21, 2008.

Men’s golf beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.