Authors: Justin Warren

After posting one of her best seasons in a Rams uniform, CSU women’s basketball player Juanise Cornell will not don the green and gold uniform in her senior year.

The 5-foot-10 forward from Azusa, Calif., was released by head coach Kristen Holt Wednesday morning and granted permission to transfer to a different basketball program.

“This is my decision as the head coach and is based on what I feel is in the best interests of the program,” Holt said. Holt declined further comment on the matter.

Cornell will be allowed to complete her degree at CSU on scholarship next year if she wishes.

During her junior year on the team, Cornell posted a total of 219 points, fifth highest on the team under senior Kandy Beemer, freshman Kim Mestdagh, senior Britney Minor and sophomore Bonnie Barbee.

Cornell was third among the Rams in minutes played during the 2008-09 season and finished second in rebounds with 151 under senior Amaka Uzomah.

For the 2009-10 basketball season it was apparent Cornell was a good choice for the senior captain of the team, being only one of three seniors returning to the team.

With Cornell’s release the Rams will turn to the 6-foot-4 Turkey native Devran Tanacan for a presence in the paint. Last season Tanacan averaged only seven minutes per game, scoring a total of 52 points.

It is likely now coach Holt will look to her juniors, Barbee and Zoi Simmons, along with outstanding freshman Mestdagh for leadership.

Sports writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.