Authors: Ryan Sheine

Interim CSU President Tony Frank will present the university’s administrative budget proposal to the System Board of Governors for fiscal year 2010 today at 3:30 p.m. in the Grey Rock Room in the Lory Student Center.

“The governor . signed the (state appropriations) Bill authorizing the state’s budget for next year – an action that allows us to move ahead with a great deal more certainty on our CSU budget proposal for FY10,” Frank said in an e-mail Monday to the university community.

Michelle McKinney, chief spokesperson for the BOG, declined to comment, saying the board has not yet seen the numbers on the budget.

“The Board of Governors hasn’t yet had a chance to review and vote on the new budget proposal,” she said.

After devastating state cuts to higher education in Colorado, the new budget will sustain a $30 million shortfall that will be filled by money from President Barack Obama’s recent stimulus package.

Frank said the budget plan looks to “begin modestly rebuilding some institutional base budget reserves in preparation for the time when federal stimulus dollars are no longer available.”

With the new budget restrictions, tuition will increase by 9 percent, and 40 jobs will be eliminated.

Student government President Taylor Smoot expressed optimism in Frank’s direction for the university, saying Frank has a commitment to keeping tuition as low as possible in a state where all institutions will suffer.

“UNC will see double digit increase for in-state undergrads, and CU will see a double digit increase too; we’re only seeing a single digit increase,” he said.

“The new budget clearly shows that we are in a recession,” Smoot added. “It’s unfortunate that 40 jobs will have to be lost.”

Frank, Smoot said, deserves much praise for his efforts in limiting the blow to student wallets.

“He is a great president to have in command,” Smoot said. “The personal cuts taken by the higher ups is an example of them taking the brunt of it with the students.”

There will be an opportunity for students to give their feedback on the budget in an open forum session from 9 to 10 a.m. Monday in the Cherokee Park Room in the LSC.

Staff writer Ryan Sheine can be reached at news@collegian.com.