Authors: Elyse Jarvis

The CSU System Board of Governors will “likely” vote on the next chancellor of the system today or Wednesday, a BOG spokesperson said Monday.

The board will meet today in a previously unscheduled session to receive the chancellor search committee’s recommendation for the position, said Michele McKinney, a spokesperson for the Board.

The 15-member search committee interviewed “several” candidates Monday, McKinney said, making its recommendation to the board late that afternoon. McKinney could not comment as to how many finalists it turned over to the board for review.

Today, the BOG will either vote on the committee’s selection, begin review of the candidate to be completed in a Wednesday meeting or “simply receive the recommendation,” she said.

In any case, the BOG will follow the progress it makes today in another meeting, scheduled for Wednesday. The board’s deliberation on the committee’s selection will culminate in a publicly held vote.

A name will be released only after the board votes. McKinney said both voting and non-voting members will be present to review the committee’s choice.

Taylor Smoot, who is a non-voting member of the board as president of the Associated Students of CSU, said he plans to discuss with the Board a bill, which recently made its way into the state House, that instructs university search committees to turn over at least three candidates to individual college boards for review.

It is not publicly known whether CSU’s chancellor search committee did or did not act in accordance with the bill’s proposal.

The committee, made up of CSU-Fort Collins alumni and local business and political leaders, was formed in late February after the Board officially split the positions of CSU-Fort Collins president and the system’s chancellor.

Presidents of the CSU-Fort Collins campus, including former CSU President Larry Penley, previously maintained both roles.

The BOG’s decision to exclude students from a seat on the chancellor search committee is one that’s drawn sharp criticism from student leaders like Smoot and David Fresquez, president of CSU-Pueblo’s Associated Students’ Government, who led a protest at the Pueblo campus shortly after the board announced its selections to the committee.

McKinney has defended the decision, maintaining that both Smoot and Fresquez will be asked to review the final recommendation even as ex-officio members of the Board.

News Managing Editor Elyse Jarvis can be reached at news@collegian.com.