Authors: Scott Callahan

History repeated itself for the track and field team as the women took first place and the men finished second Saturday at the Front Range Classic, hosted by the University of Colorado.

Additionally, the Rams saw two of their teammates qualified to compete in the NCAA regional competition. Wil Buchanan earned his second qualifying mark in the 1,500-meter race with a time of 3:50.00, and Jeremy Freed ran the 1,500-meter in 3:52.08. Buchanan also holds a regional qualifier in the 800-meter run.

“We felt good about the attitude and the competitiveness the athletes had,” said head coach Brian Bedard.

When all the meets were done the Rams had won 12 of the 38 events in Boulder at one of the few meets where all of the athletes were together for competition this season.

In the men’s shot put, CSU swept the top three spots. Tyson Williams (53-feet-1.5) Ian Lettow (52-feet-8) and Jeff Horinek (50-feet-6.25) all placed in the event.

Missy Faubus earned a first-place finish in the shot put (48-feet-10.75), a second-place finish in the discus (158-feet-5) and a second-place finish in the hammer throw (174-feet-6).

Tanesha Johnson earned two first-place finishes for the Rams in the triple jump (39-feet-2.25) and the 100 meters (12.07).

Other first place finishes came from the CSU men’s 4×100 relay (Brian Fox, Keenen Ballage, Sulaiman Sayyid and Josh Murphy), the men’s 4×400 relay (Nigel Joseph, Fox, Buchanan and Ryan Friese), Jennifer Lehman (women’s high jump), Caston Mabin (men’s high jump) and Ellie Rastall (1,500 meters).

Doug Dieker had a heartbreaker in the pole vault after he had jumped over 17 feet, which beat CSU’s school record, but as he was celebrating the pole was still moving and fell. The official ruled the jump disqualified.

The meet was troubled all day long by sporadic showers and overall cold weather — nothing ideal for an outdoor meet.

“It doesn’t matter what the weather is doing, you have to get after it. You can’t control the weather,” Bedard said. “It’ll be good to prepare us for the conference championship in Laramie. We are going to have to expect tough conditions up there.”

CSU’s next meet will be the final home meet of the season as the Rams will welcome several local teams to the Jack Christiansen Track on May 9 for the Ram Open.

Track beat reporter Scott Callahan can be reached at news@collegian.com.