We at the Collegian have witnessed a disturbing trend in the past few weeks. No, not swine flu or the economy, but something far greater: dead week — or the lack thereof.

As it has been ingrained in our heads since before orientation — and probably since we’ve graduated junior high school — dead week serves the very important purpose of giving students a break before the hellish week of finals.

And we cherish such wondrous days.

But as seen through extensive, very unscientific studies done by the Collegian Editorial Board, trends show that professors have been assigning long papers and holding tests during the holiest of slacker weeks.

Aside from our griping and whining, the university has set a precedent on the issue of assignments and tests during the week before finals.

According to CSU’s Academic Faculty And Administrative Professional Manual, “No in-class examination constituting more than 10 percent of the final course grade may be given in undergraduate courses during the week preceding the final examination period of the semester; laboratory, performance and other alternative classes (e.g., courses in the individualized mathematics program) excluded.”

So that paper you haven’t written yet or the test you haven’t studied for this week, as long as it doesn’t substitute for your final and is worth more than 10 percent of your grade, you should contest.

Print out the Faculty Council’s manual and bring it to you professors. Fight for your right to procrastinate.