Authors: Jessica Cline

The sopping streets and cold air Friday afternoon were not enough to deter the efforts of about 20 CSU students and community members in the fight against breast cancer.

Tammy Zuber, a six-year cancer survivor and one of the participants in CSU’s first annual Passionately Pink for the Cure event, said the field day fundraiser, which featured a contest for the best-dressed person in pink, a three-legged race, a hula-hoop contest and wheelbarrow race, served to raise awareness not only about cancer’s deadly nature but the hope that exists in spite of it.

The event raised $150 for the Susan G. Komen Foundation, the world’s largest network of survivors and activists fighting to find a cure for breast cancer and a 25-year pioneer of breast cancer research.

And while the amount was not as much as event coordinators from the National Society of Collegiate Scholars had hoped to raise, they said they could only hope for improvement next time.

Volunteers aimed to raise about $500 from entry fees into the event and from the raffle.

“Events like this are important because people need to realize how many women get breast cancer and how much higher the survival rate is today, especially when the cancer is diagnosed early,” Zuber said.

Monique Romero, another breast cancer survivor and mother of CSU student and event coordinator Jordan Romero, agreed that it is important for young women to be aware of breast cancer.

“It is important to get the knowledge about breast cancer out there so girls know what to expect and can do self breast exams and everything possible to prevent breast cancer,” she said.

According to the American Cancer Society, an estimated one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime, which is equivalent to an estimated five million Americans and their families who will have to battle against breast cancer.

However, since 1990, the death rates from breast cancer have declined and there are around 2.5 million breast cancer survivors in the U.S. at this time.

“If you just think about those five million people and all their friends and family members, it is simple to see why finding a cure, raising awareness, early detection and many other breast health issues that Susan G. Komen benefits are so important and why we should do everything in our power to help the cause,” said Jordan Romero, a sophomore art major and member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars.

The majority of participants said the event, despite low turnout and dreary weather, was a success.

“It went fantastic,” said Leah Fenimore, a sophomore biological science major and member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars.

“It was cold, but it was a lot of fun. Several/breast cancer survivors were there and we added more field day like events to do and it/really was a success.”

Others supported Fenimore’s opinion.

“(The event) was a fun way to spend a Friday afternoon with friends while supporting a good cause,” said Brian Leak, an open-option seeking engineering major.

Staff writer Jessica Cline can be reached at news@collegian.com.