Authors: Jessica Cline

Today CSU will hold its first-ever Passionately Pink for the Cure Event to raise awareness about breast cancer and money for the Susan G. Komer Foundation, the world’s largest network of survivors and activists fighting to find a cure for breast cancer.

Funds will go to research for helping find a cure.

An estimated one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime, according to the Susan G. Komer Foundation Website which is an estimated five million Americans and their families and friends that will have to battle against breast cancer.

“If you just think about those five million people and all their friends and family members, it is simple to see why finding a cure, raising awareness, early detection and many other breast health issues . are so important and why we should do everything in our power to help the cause,” said Jordan Romero, member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars.

The NSCS is hosting a mini track and field day to help in the fight against breast cancer and raise awareness at CSU. The field day will include events such as a high heel race, a three-legged race, a hula-hoop contest and a best-dressed pink outfit contest, all of which are open to the public.

They hope draw large participation and raise at least $500 for the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

“We are donating to (the foundation) mainly because (Romero) knows a lot of survivors, and it would be great to get them involved with something they had to deal with so they can pass their courage and wisdom to others,” said Leah Fenimore, NSCS community service coordinator, “And this organization is a great organization to do that through.”

A 25-year pioneer of breast cancer research, the Komen organization works to educate people about the disease, and members of NSCS encourage the CSU community to join the cause.

“I am sure that, like myself, many students’ lives have been touched by this disease,” Romero said. “And it is important for all people, not just women, to understand the realities of breast cancer for the benefit of our mothers, sisters, friends, girlfriends, wives and daughters.”

Romera cited the possibility of winning door prizes at the event and having a good time as other reasons to support the cause today.

A panel of guest survivors from the CSU and greater communities, Monique Romero, Jordan Romero’s mother, CSU biology professor Karen Raines and Tammy Zuber, will judge the best-dressed attendant in pink.

The event is scheduled from 4 to 6 p.m. on Field 12, located on the corner of Meldrum Street and University Avenue on campus. It is $5 to participate in the events and free to watch. Donations will be accepted, and a minimum donation of $1 enters a donor’s name into the raffle.

Prizes will be given for the events and the raffle including: pink cupcakes donated by the Buttercream Cupcakery, a $45 gift card donated by Carrabbas, a handmade necklace donated by local artist Rebekah Valentine, among others.

Staff writer Jessica Cline can be reached at news@collegian.com.