Authors: Scott Callahan

By Scott Callahan

The track and field team has had much success this outdoor season and is looking to expand on its already 13 regional qualifiers at the Front Range Classic in Boulder this weekend. For those who have not reached regional qualifiers, many of them have beat their own personal best records.

“We try to encourage and celebrate personal bests and whoever hits regional qualifiers each week,” said head coach Brian Bedard. “It helps provide encouragement (to the rest of the team).”

Regional qualifiers mean that the athlete has competed above a set mark and qualifies to compete in the NCAA regional meet the University of Oklahoma hosts on May 29.

The Rams 13 regional qualifiers are fairly evenly split between the teams, with seven men and six women qualifying. Three of the women have regional qualifiers in two events each.

The regional qualifiers for the men are: Ryan Friese in the 800-meter run (1:48.99), Wil Buchanan in the 800-meter run (1:49.47), Spenser Lynass in the 3,000-meter steeplechase (9:04.94), Jake Keyser in the 3,000-meter steeplechase (9:06.85), Doug Dieker in the pole vault (16-feet-6.75), Tyson Williams in the shot put (57-feet-3), and Alex Godell in the hammer throw (208-feet-1).

The women’s qualifiers are: Kirsten Anthony in the 1,500-meter run (4:25.90) and the 5,000-meter run (16:51.30), Nicole Peters in the 5,000-meter run (16:44.04) and the 3,000-meter steeplechase (10:46.66), Missy Faubus in the shot put (52-feet-4) and the discus (170-feet-11), Jennifer Ugochukwu in the shot put (46-feet-11), Meagan Berg in the hammer throw (190-feet-1), Leah Elmshauser in the hammer throw (180-feet-7).

“The athletes are peaking at the right time,” Bedard said. “The focus and technique are lining up a little bit, and we are hoping for more (regional qualifiers) this weekend.”

Front Range Classic will host many of the D-I schools in the area such as Wyoming and UNC.

This meet is unique in that a different school each year plays host. This year Colorado is hosting the meet, and next year CSU will host the same meet.

The Ram women finished in first, and the men finished in second to Air Force Academy in the last outdoor season.

Additionally, the whole team is going to the meet this weekend instead of splitting up attendance into several meets. Bedard said the coaches only split the team when they think it is in the best interest of the athletes. This will be one of the few weeks the team will be together.

“Most teams will be at full strength, and everyone is going to try to take a little pride in winning it,” Bedard said.

Track and field beat writer Scott Callahan can be reached at sports@collegian.com. in the hammer throw (180-feet-7).

Track and field beat writer Scott Callahan can be reached at sports@collegian.com.