Authors: Collegian Staff

For the second time this season, the CSU men’s golf team is headed to Tucson, Ariz., to compete for a second consecutive Mountain West Conference championship title.

Last season CSU took home the MWC championship on the par-71, 7,136-yard Catalina Course of the OMNI Tucson National Golf Club.

If CSU wins back-to-back MWC championships, the Rams will break the school record for most wins in a season and tie the 1999-2000 BYU golf team’s conference record of six titles in a season.

The Rams come into the MWC championship ranked No. 26 in the nation after a second place finish in last week’s Cougar Classic.

Among the other eight MWC schools, four are ranked in the top 50 with CSU: No. 37 New Mexico, No. 23 San Diego State, No. 20 TCU and No. 22 UNLV.

Head coach Jamie Bermel will bring his best golfers to compete in the championship. Senior Zen Brown, freshman Zahkai Brown and juniors Bryce Hanstad, Dustin Morris and Riley Arp will compete in the tournament.

This season CSU has finished all nine of their tournaments in the top-10 with seven top-fives, five of which were tournament victories.

The Rams began the season with a win in the Gene Miranda Invitational in Colorado Springs and backed that tournament up with a second place finish in the Wolverine Invitational on September 21, 2008.

CSU went on a tear during the month of October, going undefeated with three tournament victories before the winter break.

When play resumed on March 17, the Rams took home their fourth win in a row in the Barona Collegiate Cup in San Diego, Calif. Since then CSU has placed eighth in two consecutive tournaments before ending their last tournament in second.

The first 18 holes of the MWC championship are set to begin this morning at 8 a.m., with the second round scheduled for Friday morning, and the final 18 holes set to be played Saturday.