Authors: Madeline Novey

With just more than a week before finals, study time was cut short for hundreds of students Thursday when a power outage shut the lights out on campus just after 10 p.m.

And as moans and signs of undue stress echoed out among the students holed up in front of computers on the first floor of the Morgan Library, many of whom couldn’t remember if they had pressed “Save” just before the monitor went black, a single voice asked if there were people trapped in the elevator.

The two student employees scuttling back and forth at the front desk — checking out books in the now-archaic, hand-written method and answering dozens of queries about the power outage however, said they could not confirm whether the rumor was true. One did say this wasn’t the strangest thing to happen at the library, though.

“The most unusual thing is seeing passed-out drunks and people being carried away after being arrested,” Luke Rose, a library employee and sophomore music performance major, said. “But nothing like this before.”

Two health and exercise science majors who were huddled over their shadowed assignments said they had a hunch that when the computers powered down the girl sitting across from them lost her work.

“She had a 30-page assignment she was working on,” Casey Reale, a sophomore health and exercise science major, said. “She broke down crying — I don’t think she saved it.”

CSU spokesperson Dell Rae Moellenberg did not have information regarding the cause of the outage or areas affected on campus, because she said was out of the area and unaware of the situation as of press time Wednesday night.

Power returned at approximately 11:45 p.m. Wednesday.

Assistant News Editor Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com.